Tuesday, November 23, 2010

In which our hero shows off a Grav APC

And this time we get a look at what I made of the Topgun grav APC.



I followed my plan for a geometric pattern, and I like the results. While the intention was to offer contrast for the organic, reptilian curves of the model, the zig-zag pattern wound up having a crocodilian quality all it's own, which unifies the model and paint pretty nicely. I find that the combination of a vivid green and a straightforward desert tan, along with the garish lines underscores the role of these as mercenary/raider transports in my game world nicely.

The technique is pretty much all blending at this point, with some wash shading around the edges of the scale armor, doors, and such. Sometimes I wonder if I should spring for an airbrush, especially if I am going to get into 15mm vehicle periods more aggressively, but in the end, I'm just not unhappy with the effects I can get with brushes and patience.

The underside is fairly nondescript, a flat charcoal grey which passes well as heat shielding for orbital drops, and is never really seen in play anyway. I glued a magnetic figure base to the center of the bottom as well to give it some elevation. The base is small enough that it is rarely seen, and offers an excellent levitation illusion. The magnet keeps it more or less safe in my figure boxes to boot.

I still might add some communications arials somewhere, it just seems like a little something is missing. Might need a little more weathering, perhaps some carbon scoring. I like it as it is, but I think I can get a little more out of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment