Monday, January 10, 2011

In which our hero receives a package from Old Crow

So, I was out of town for a few days and came home to find a few packages piled up on the doorstep. After marveling at the neighborhood kids' lack of ambition, I set to the task of cracking them open.

First up was the parcel from Old Crow.

I had placed an exploratory order for some vehicles that I thought would compliment my Rebel Minis Titan Marines (the jackbooted Siedler Landwehr as they are known locally). The Old Crow Dragoon halftrack and Goanna scout both echo the Sd Kfz transports and armored cars of WWII, and evoke just the right vibe for my despicable, predictable, and derivative bad guy army.

Here's the Goanna. It's actually a little bigger than I expected, and altogether cool.


The models themselves are fantastic. Clean casts in a very nice resin, with very few bubbles or pits to deal with. Surface details are sharp and the pieces have a definite and clear artistic direction.

Here's the Dragoon as parts.


And a shot of it assembled, which took all of five minutes. The bits fit together perfectly.


I do need to figure out how I am going to arm the Goannas. They don't come with any weapons, but do have plenty of roof deck for adding some sort of turret. I am going to have to start pawing around and see if I can get any Sd Kfz machine gun turrets separate from the rest of the model, as these would be perfect. Failing that, I may just kitbash something from my growing pool of bits, but they deserve a finishing touch that's at least up to the standard of the rest of the model. I may do some sort of fixed-forward gun blister on the hood instead of a turret to keep them sleek, or skip the obvious armaments all together and keep them as-is. Experiments are in order.

Now I just need to find some more vehicle that fit the vibe. I'm yet to stumble upon any near future tanks that really scream 'Panzer III knockoff,' nor can I find any good Stug standins. Old Crow's Sabre isn't terribly far off, though it's still more Abrams than Panther. I am also tossing around the idea of incorporating some Gear Krieg walkers into the force.

No comments:

Post a Comment